Thursday, August 5, 2010

fruit roll ups, healthy style!


A couple weeks ago our fridge started going crazy. It started to warm and stuff started defrosting. This lead to many frantic trips downstairs to empty the freezer into the chest freezer. Then I was left with a fridge full of warming food, which included a lot of berries. Since I had just bought a fancy new dehydrator I thought I would try it out. So I made fruit roll ups!


I took a whole pint of strawberries (or blueberries or any fruit), washed, topped and hulled and blended them in my fabulous blender with about a tablespoon of honey. (while the strawberries were sweet, you need the honey to keep the rolls pliable) Then I poured it onto a dehydrator try lined with a non stick drying sheet (I use a paraflexx sheet), spread to about an eigth of an inch thick, and dry at a low temp, 110F-105F over night. Then peel off and wrap in cling wrap.




They got a double thumbs up from Trixie.

No comments: